Bring Your Baby - 'BRING YOUR BABY' GUIDED LONDON WALK: 'Hallowe'en Ghost Walk' on Wednesday 4th November PRE-LOCKDOWN!
WINNER of 'Best Parent Activity' at the '2020 Bablands Awards'!
This activity is usually led by Lucy Madison, who is a trained walking guide and historian, and worked as Primary school teacher in London before having her son. She is mum to 3 year old Evan, and dreamt up the idea for 'Bring Your Baby' somewhere between breastfeeding and napping with her son. Lucy is also the founder of 'Bring Your Baby Pub Quiz', which started out as an alternative for walks in the winter, and exploded. ('Bring Your Baby Pub Quiz' will be back as soon we can be back in pubs.) Aside from 'Bring Your Baby', Lucy runs the blog 'Horrid Hackney' and works with the Hackney History group, supports Primary schools with their local history curriculum, and gives public talks. She is currently writing content for a book about significant Hackney women.
174 Queen Victoria Street
London , Greater London
0 months - 2 years
Bring Your Baby
NB: This event MUST be booked in advance. No drop-ins.
'Bring Your Baby' Guided London Walks are sensitively devised to suit parents and carers of even the tiniest babies to enjoy London’s history. We stop whenever you like to feed and change - without the stress of feeling you are holding up the group. Because every participant brings their baby, patience and baby’s needs are at the forefront of each walk.
Walk starts: Outside 'The Blackfriar' pub, 174 Queen Victoria Street, London EC4V 4EG
Walk ends: Aldwych end of Fleet Street.
WHAT YOU'LL SEE & HEAR ABOUT ON THIS WALK:
- The City is incredibly quiet at the moment, with few workers and tourists, so we will have an extra-spooky experience!
- Infamous Bridewell Prison, its dark history, its inmates such as brothel keeper Elizabeth Cresswell and links to Henry VIII.
- St. Bride's Church, with a sinister connection to the founding of Virginia in America and a season theme of the 'American Horror Story' TV series... and was where thousands of bodies were found sealed up in the walls...
- 'Hanging Sword Alley', site of criminal’s drinking den 'Blood Bowl House'.
- Remains of 13th century Whitefriars Monastery.
- Ancient alleyways once part of the notorious ‘Alsatia’, a violent no-go area where policemen feared to tread.
- The ancient Inner Temple and Middle Temple courts and passages; perhaps catch sight of the ghost of 'The Hanging Judge'!
- 12th century Temple Church of the Knights Templar - with connections to satanic rituals, 'The Da Vinci Code' and the ghost of Oliver Goldsmith!
- Atmospheric and otherworldly lanes, courtyards and alleyways that were literary and cinematic locations for Charles Dickens, Harry Potter and 'Harlots'.
- Where Elizabeth I had the Earl of Essex captured before his execution.
- Site of 'Demon Barber of Fleet Street', Sweeney Todd's shop on Fleet Street! You will also see where Mrs Lovett made her famous ‘meat’ pies!
- A grisly murder carried out by vicious Elizabeth Brownrigg.
And much more the word count won't fit!
- The latest government advice under Tier 2 is that events organised by businesses following COVID-19 secure guidelines can host larger groups in public outdoor spaces provided they take reasonable steps to mitigate the risk of transmission, in line with COVID-19 secure guidance.
- In order to take extra-precautionary steps, I will be limiting tickets to 12 adults for this tour (your children are included in my calculations), even though gatherings in an outdoor space *organised by businesses* may be allowed of up to 30 people. Please let me know if you intend to bring more than one child so I can account for them in my risk assessment.
- I will be waering a visor while I talk.
- Customers are not required to wear face masks, as long as they follow social distancing guidelines.
- We will be following routes and standing in places where we can at least stand 1 metre+ apart, but wherever possible 2 metres apart. I will be reminding people of this during the walk, as I know it is sometimes hard to concentrate when you are caring for a baby at the same time.
- There will be occasions along the walk where we can sit down at a bench, square or green space etc. so that you an change or feed baby. As this may take longer than a normal guided walk, everyone's patience is appreciated - and I certainly won't be impatient with you; it's what 'Bring Your Baby' is all about.
- I will maintain rigorous hygiene practices, and will use a personal hand sanitiser during the course of the tour. Please note, I will not be able to share hand sanitiser with members of the group and ask that you bring your own and use it should you touch any surfaces in the course of the tour.
- If on the day of the walk we are forecast to have very bad weather, I may have to postpone the walk if cannot guarantee there will be anywhere we can shelter while also adequately socially distancing. If it's a bit of light rain we will cope!
- If If I feel unwell, I will cancel the tour. And if you or anyone in your household is unwell in the days or hours before the tour, it is imperative that you should not join us.
Every walk follows the usual health and safety guidelines, such as crossing at traffic lights where possible and having hazards pointed out to you at the start and along the route.
It is recommended you bring appropriate drinks and snacks as we will not be able to stop inside for drinks, although you are welcome to grab coffees on an individual basis.
Please note: I will contact you with booking confirmation after you book. I will supply my mobile number in case of emergencies or in case you are running late. I will also ask you to provide me with a mobile number so you can be contacted before, during or after the walk, but this is *not for marketing purposes*. Your number will only be used for COVID-19 track and trace purposes (much like pubs and restaurants use when you first enter), and the in case of lateness, walk postponement, cancellation or separation. Please note that if you are more than a few minutes late I may ask you to catch up with us.
I really appreciate the custom of anyone who books this walk - I know times are tough, and hope that we can get back to far more relaxed ways of doing things soon! I hope you enjoy this walk.
***If you like the look of any of my walks, but would prefer to book me privately, please make enquiries at [email protected] This may particularly be the case if you have people interested who do not have babies.***
To browse and book visit https://bringyourbaby.org
- Single Session