Bring Your Baby - 'BRING YOUR BABY' GUIDED LONDON WALK: 'Nursery Rhymes London Part 2: Tudors, Trials & Torture'
WINNER of 'Best Parent Activity' at the '2020 Bablands Awards'!
This activity is usually led by Lucy Madison, who is a trained walking guide and historian, and worked as Primary school teacher in London before having her son. She is mum to 3 year old Evan, and dreamt up the idea for 'Bring Your Baby' somewhere between breastfeeding and napping with her son. Lucy is also the founder of 'Bring Your Baby Pub Quiz', which started out as an alternative for walks in the winter, and exploded. ('Bring Your Baby Pub Quiz' will be back as soon we can be back in pubs.) Aside from 'Bring Your Baby', Lucy runs the blog 'Horrid Hackney' and works with the Hackney History group, supports Primary schools with their local history curriculum, and gives public talks. Lucy co-wrote 'Women from Hackney's History', a book about significant Hackney women, which was published by The Hackney Society and Hackney History in March 2021..
174 Queen Victoria Street
London , Greater London
0 months - 2 years
Bring Your Baby
'Bring Your Baby' Guided London Walks are sensitively devised to suit parents and carers of even the tiniest babies to enjoy London’s history. We can stop whenever you like to feed and change - without the stress of feeling you are holding up the group. Because every participant brings their baby, patience and baby’s needs are at the forefront of each walk.
You are welcome to bring friends and family who do not also have a baby.
NURSERY RHYMES LONDON No. 2: TUDORS, TRIALS AND TORTURE
By the shaded area with benches outside 'The Blackfriar' pub, 174 Queen Victoria St, London EC4V 4EG
Charterhouse Square, Barbican, London EC1M 6AN
Price reflects the length and value-for-money content of the tour.
Learn the origins of these nursery rhymes:
- Old Mother Hubbard
- Goosie, Goosie Gander
- Oranges and Lemons
- I Had a Little Nut Tree
- Little Jack Horner
- Little Miss Muffet
- Sing a Song of Sixpence
- Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary
- Ring-a-Ring o' Roses
- Three Blind Mice
- Needles and Pins
- Flour of England
- The Lion and the Unicorn
See and hear about this lot:
- Scene of Henry VIII's & Catherine of Aragon's divorce proceedings.
- Where 'Bloody' Mary I burnt protestants at the stake.
- Anne Boleyn, Elizabeth I, Lady Jane Grey, Mary Queen of Scots, Cardinal Thomas Wolsey & Thomas Cromwell.
- William Shakespeare, the Playhouse Theatre and the church Shakespeare worshipped at.
- Blackfriars & Greyfriars Monasteries.
- Henry VIII's Bridewell Palace which later became Bridewell Prison.
- The King's Wardrobe.
- Newgate Prison - the site of public executions.
- An 'Oranges & Lemons' church.
- Where the Great Fire of London burnt out in 1666.
- London's largest plague pit.
- London's last gate to the City.
Walk Ends: Charterhouse Square
- Parent and baby groups of up to 15 people (children under 5 not included) can resume from 29th March 2021.
- I have arranged walks so that customers can appropriately socially distance during each walk and avoid 'mingling'. This is part of my risk assessment and will be explained at the start of each walk. I also carry each risk assessment and the government guidelines with me during walks in case we are challenged.
- I will be wearing a visor and using hand sanitiser.
- Customers are not required to wear face masks, as long as they follow social distancing guidelines.
- We will be following routes and standing in places where we can at least stand 1 metre+ apart, but wherever possible 2 metres apart. I will be reminding people of this during the walk, as I know it is sometimes hard to concentrate when you are caring for a baby at the same time.
- Unfortunately we will not be able to stop indoors *as a group* to feed and change, go to the toilet or take refreshment as we would normally do. Please follow my advice at the top of this page about places to get a coffee and go to the toilet before the walk. There will be occasions along the walk where we can sit down at a bench, square or green space etc., or you are also very welcome individually to visit a cafe to meet your needs. I will always try to remind people when I think there is a good chance to do this, but please understand opportunities may not always be immediate. As this may take longer than normal, everyone's patience is appreciated - and I certainly won't be impatient with you; it's what 'Bring Your Baby' is all about.
- I will maintain rigorous hygiene practices, and will use a personal hand sanitiser during the course of the tour. Please bring your own sanitser and use it should you touch any surfaces in the course of the tour.
- If on the day of the walk we are forecast to have very bad weather, I may have to postpone the walk if cannot guarantee there will be anywhere we can shelter while also adequately socially distancing. If it's a bit of light rain we will cope!
- If I feel unwell, I will cancel the tour. And if you or anyone in your household is unwell in the days or hours before the tour, it is imperative that you should not join us.
Every walk follows the usual health and safety guidelines, such as crossing at traffic lights where possible and having hazards pointed out to you at the start and along the route.
Please wear appropriate clothes and footwear for the walk and bring sunscreen if necessary.
As we are not able to stop collectively for refreshment, it is recommended you bring appropriate drinks and snacks. We do not anticipate being able to stop for food.
Please note: I will contact you with booking confirmation after you book. I will supply my mobile number in case of emergencies or in case you are running late. I will also ask you to provide me with a mobile number so you can be contacted before, during or after the walk, and for COVID-19 track and trace purposes. Please note that if you are more than a few minutes late I may ask you to catch up with us.
I really appreciate the custom of anyone who books this walk - I know times are tough, and hope that we can get back to far more relaxed ways of doing things soon! I hope you enjoy this walk.
***If you like the look of any of my walks, but would prefer to book me privately, please make enquiries at [email protected] This may particularly be the case if you have people interested who do not have babies.***
To browse and book visit https://bringyourbaby.org
Siblings & Discounts
- Single Session