Bring Your Baby - 'BRING YOUR BABY' GUIDED LONDON WALK: 'Borough, Southwark & Bankside: Bards, Bawds & Treading the Boards'
WINNER OF 'BEST PARENT ACTIVITY' AT THE 2020 'BABLANDS' AWARDS!
This activity is usually led by Lucy Madison, who is also the founder of 'Bring Your Baby Guided London Walks'. Aside from 'Bring Your Baby', Lucy writes the blog 'Horrid Hackney' and has just co-authored 'Women from Hackney's History', a book about significant Hackney women. She also gives public and online talks about Hackney's history. Lucy is joined in 'Bring Your Baby Pub Quiz' by her other half, Anthony. He is the brains behind the questions, and also writes quiz questions for ITV. Lucy and Anthony are parents to 4-year-old Evan, whose favourite animal is (currently) a cow.
Outside Borough Station miles
Borough High Street
London , Greater London
0 months - 2 years
Bring Your Baby
NB: This event MUST be booked in advance. No drop-ins.
With stop at Southwark Cathedral cafe for refreshment and baby change.
'Bring Your Baby' Guided London Walks are sensitively devised to suit parents and carers of even the tiniest babies to enjoy London’s history. We can stop whenever you like to feed and change - without the stress of feeling you are holding up the group. Because every participant brings their baby, patience and baby’s needs are at the forefront of each walk.
You are welcome to come along if you are pregnant, or to bring friends and family who do not also have a baby.
About this walk:
- Stand in medieval courtyards and alleyways immortalised by Chaucer, Shakespeare and Dickens; home to a half timbered house from the 15th century and the 17th century galleried inn in the area, The George Tavern, where I hope we can also take a pit stop for refreshment outdoors.
- See the original wall of The Marshalsea Prison, where Charles Dickens' family were imprisoned when he was a child.
- See the birthplace of the founder of Harvard University - and a house with links to a grisly murder.
- Visit Crossbones Graveyard, final resting place prostitutes from the brothels of Bankside.
- Wander through Borough Market and locations from Harry Potter.
- Learn about Bankside's theatrical past - the site of the original Globe the Rose theatres and a bear-baiting pit popular with Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.
- Discover the remains of Winchester Palace and its connection to the brothels and stews that sat alongside the playhouses and bear pits of Bankside.
- Imagine the scene as you visit the tavern where Samuel Pepys once watched the Great Fire of London burn - and a favourite of Dr Samuel Johnson, writer of the dictionary.
- And more...
Book here at Happity or bringyourbaby.org
Siblings & Discounts
- Single Session