Bring Your Baby - 'BRING YOUR BABY' GUIDED LONDON WALK: 'Borough, Southwark & Bankside: Bards, Bawds & Treading the Boards'
WINNER OF 'BEST PARENT ACTIVITY' AT THE 2020 'BABLANDS' AWARDS!
This activity is usually led by Lucy Madison, who is a trained walking guide and historian, and worked as Primary school teacher in London before having her son. She is mum to 3 year old Evan, and dreamt up the idea for 'Bring Your Baby' somewhere between breastfeeding and napping with her son. Lucy is also the founder of 'Bring Your Baby Pub Quiz', which started out as an alternative for walks in the winter, and exploded. ('Bring Your Baby Pub Quiz' will be back as soon we can be back in pubs.) Aside from 'Bring Your Baby', Lucy runs the blog 'Horrid Hackney' and works with the Hackney History group, supports Primary schools with their local history curriculum, and gives public talks. She is currently writing content for a book about significant Hackney women.
Outside Borough Station miles
Borough High Street
London , Greater London
0 months - 2 years
Bring Your Baby
NB: This event MUST be booked in advance. No drop-ins.
'Bring Your Baby' Guided London Walks are sensitively devised to suit parents and carers of even the tiniest babies to enjoy London’s history. We can stop whenever you like to feed and change - without the stress of feeling you are holding up the group. Because every participant brings their baby, patience and baby’s needs are at the forefront of each walk.
You are welcome to come along if you are pregnant, or to bring friends and family who do not also have a baby.
About this walk:
- Stand in medieval courtyards and alleyways immortalised by Chaucer, Shakespeare and Dickens; home to a half timbered house from the 15th century and the 17th century galleried inn in the area, The George Tavern, where I hope we can also take a pit stop for refreshment outdoors.
- See the original wall of The Marshalsea Prison, where Charles Dickens' family were imprisoned when he was a child.
- See the birthplace of the founder of Harvard University - and a house with links to a grisly murder.
- Visit Crossbones Graveyard, final resting place prostitutes from the brothels of Bankside.
- Wander through Borough Market and locations from Harry Potter.
- Learn about Bankside's theatrical past - the site of the original Globe the Rose theatres and a bear-baiting pit popular with Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.
- Discover the remains of Winchester Palace and its connection to the brothels and stews that sat alongside the playhouses and bear pits of Bankside.
- Imagine the scene as you visit the tavern where Samuel Pepys once watched the Great Fire of London burn - and a favourite of Dr Samuel Johnson, writer of the dictionary.
- And more...
- Parent and baby groups of up to 15 people (children under 5 not included) can resume from 29th March 2021.
- I have arranged walks so that customers can appropriately socially distance during each walk and avoid 'mingling'. This is part of my risk assessment and will be explained at the start of each walk. I also carry each risk assessment and the government guidelines with me during walks in case we are challenged.
- I will be wearing a visor and using hand sanitiser.
- Customers are not required to wear face masks, as long as they follow social distancing guidelines.
- We will be following routes and standing in places where we can at least stand 1 metre+ apart, but wherever possible 2 metres apart. I will be reminding people of this during the walk, as I know it is sometimes hard to concentrate when you are caring for a baby at the same time.
- There will be occasions along the walk where we can sit down at a bench, square or green space etc. As this may take longer than normal, everyone's patience is appreciated - and I certainly won't be impatient with you; it's what 'Bring Your Baby' is all about.
- Please bring your own sanitser and use it should you touch any surfaces in the course of the tour.
- If on the day of the walk we are forecast to have very bad weather, I may have to postpone the walk if cannot guarantee there will be anywhere we can shelter while also adequately socially distancing. If it's a bit of light rain we will cope!
- If I feel unwell, I will cancel the tour. And if you or anyone in your household is unwell in the days or hours before the tour, it is imperative that you should not join us.
Every walk follows the usual health and safety guidelines, such as crossing at traffic lights where possible and having hazards pointed out to you at the start and along the route.
Please wear appropriate clothes and footwear for the walk and bring sunscreen if necessary.
Iit is recommended you bring appropriate drinks and snacks.
Please note: I will contact you with booking confirmation after you book. I will supply my mobile number in case of emergencies or in case you are running late. I will also ask you to provide me with a mobile number so you can be contacted before, during or after the walk, and for COVID-19 track and trace purposes. Please note that if you are more than a few minutes late I may ask you to catch up with us.
I really appreciate the custom of anyone who books this walk - I know times are tough, and hope that we can get back to far more relaxed ways of doing things soon! I hope you enjoy this walk.
***If you like the look of any of my walks, but would prefer to book me privately, please make enquiries at [email protected] This may particularly be the case if you have people interested who do not have babies.***
To browse and book visit https://bringyourbaby.org
Siblings & Discounts
- Single Session